January 9, 2019 Update
The 100th General Assembly adjourned session sine die following a brief lame-duck session. The 101st General Assembly was sworn in today at noon. The Governor-elect and all newly elected constitutional officers will take office Monday, January 14th.
During the lame duck session, the 100th General Assembly approved a handful of items including two items requested by Governor-elect Pritzker before concluding its business. Both chambers approved SB1298 (Cullerton/Currie) which allows the Governor-elect to replace all of the current members of the Illinois Toll Highway Authority Board. Supporters of the legislation questioned the Board’s spending and contracting practices.
The General Assembly also approved SB3531(Cullerton/Mitchell) which provides a 15% salary increase for State Agency Director and Assistant Director positions. The salaries for these positions have been frozen for the past 10 years. The Pritzker administration argued that the salary increases are necessary to make the positions competitive nationally and to attract competent leadership in those positions.
Both bills now head to the Governor’s desk for consideration. The General Assembly has 30 days to transmit legislation to the Governor once it passes both chambers. It is widely expected that the General Assembly will wait to forward both of these bills until the Governor-elect is sworn into office next week.
Other News:Democrat State Representative Lou Lang resigned his position on Monday after serving 16 terms in the Illinois House. Lang’s replacement has not yet been named. Lang will be lobbying for Advantage Government Strategies.
Democrat State Representative Christian Mitchell, who has been selected as a Deputy Governor in the new Administration, is expected to resign his legislative seat in the coming days.
Several new State Senators were sworn in at the end of the 100th General Assembly. Robert Peters, political director of Reclaim Chicago, was appointed to replace Senator Kwame Raoul who will be sworn in January 14th as the Attorney General for the State of Illinois. Peters, 33, will hold Raoul’s old seat until 2021. Ram Villivalam, who defeated Senator Ira Silverstein in the Democratic primary, was sworn into office ahead of the 101st General Assembly. Former Democratic Representative Laura Fine was sworn into office, replacing Senator Biss, who ran for governor instead of reelection. Christopher Belt was sworn in to replace Senator James Clayborne who did not seek re-election. Former Republican Representative Brian Stewart was sworn in to replace Republican Senator Bivins who resigned in December. And John Fisher was sworn in to replace Republican Senator Michael Connelly who resigned after he lost his re-election bid to Democrat Laura Ellman.
Governor-Elect Staffing Announcements:
- Lieutenant Governor-elect Juliana Stratton will head the newly-created Office of Criminal Justice Reform and Economic Opportunity.
- Former Comptroller Dan Hynes, current Democratic State Representative Christian Mitchell, and current President of the Chicago Park District Board Jesse Ruiz will all serve as Deputy Governors.
- Anne Caprara, who was Governor-elect Pritzker’s campaign manager and senior advisor during the transition, will serve as Chief of Staff for the New Administration.
- Ann Spillane, who currently serves as Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s Chief of Staff, will serve as general counsel to the new Administration.
- Alexis Sturm, who currently serves as the director of cash management and bond reporting for Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza, will serve as Director of Governor’s Office of Management and Budget.
- Nikki Budzinski, who currently serves as transition director and previously served as senior adviser to the JB Pritzker for Governor campaign, will serve as senior adviser.
- Sean Rapelyea, who was political director of Pritzker’s campaign, will be Deputy Chief of Staff for external affairs in the Governor’s office.
- Former Democratic State Senator John Sullivan of Quincy will serve as the Director of the Department of Agriculture.
- Republican State Representative David Harris will serve as Director of the Department of Revenue.
- Current regional GM for Uber Midwest Erin Guthrie will serve as director of the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.
Key Session Dates:January 9th -101st General Assembly InaugurationJanuary 14th – Executive Branch InaugurationFebruary 1 – DEADLINE – Senate and House LRB RequestsFebruary 15 – DEADLINE – Introduction of Substantive Senate and House BillsFebruary 20 – Governor’s Budget AddressFebruary 26 – Consolidated Primary ElectionMarch 22 – DEADLINE – Substantive Senate Bills out of Senate CommitteeMarch 29 – DEADLINE – Substantive House Bills out of House CommitteeApril 2 – Consolidated ElectionApril 12 – DEADLINE – Third Reading Substantive Senate Bills and Substantive House BillsMay 10 – DEADLINE – Substantive Bills out of Committee in 2nd chamberMay 24 – DEADLINE – Third Reading Substantive Bills in 2nd chamberMay 31 – ADJOURNMENT
As you know there are several new members in the legislature. Here is a link to a publication from the Illinois General Assembly Legislative Research Unit that has information on them.