Illinois’ Primary Election is Tuesday, June 28th. Watch for our election roundup highlighting the outcome of Tuesday’s contests.
102nd GENERAL ASSEMBLY:
Both Senate President Don Harmon and House Speaker Chris Welch are polling the members of their respective Democratic caucuses to identify member availability for a special session sometime between July 5th and the 15th. An exact date for return has not been announced as the Legislature is not expected to return to special session until after the US Supreme Court issues its final opinion in the pending abortion case – Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. Governor Pritzker is expected to call the Special Session
Three bills remain pending on the Governor’s desk.
New Laws: HB 4434 which expands the options of professional sports team license plates Illinoisans can choose from at the Secretary of State. The change adds the Chicago Fire, the Chicago Sky, and the Chicago Red Stars to the list of options.
R3 Grants Awarded: The Criminal Justice Information Authority awarded $45 Million in Restore, Reinvest, and Renew (R3) Program Grants. The grants are funded through adult use cannabis sales. Read more here.
The following were appointed by Governor Pritzker:
· Dr. Sylvia Jenkins will serve as a Member of the Illinois Community College Board.
· Matthew Coates will serve as a Member of the Prisoner Review Board.
· Carmen Terrones will serve as a Member of the Prisoner Review Board.
· Erica Marquez Avitia will serve as a Member of the Secure Choice Savings Board.
· Lotika Pai will serve as a Member of the Secure Choice Savings Board.
· Michael Goetz will serve as a Member of the Teachers’ Retirement System Board of Trustees.
· Joseph Gutman will serve as a Member of the University of Illinois Board of Trustees.